Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Manicotti with Mixed Vegetables



A few months ago, my husband and I ate at Macaroni Grill. We ordered a dish that was amazing (despite being a little small). I don't remember the whole name but it was the first time I had ever had cannelloni, a tube-like pasta that can be stuffed with cheese, meat, vegetables, or any combination of the three. I went to the store because I wanted to make a similar dish; unfortunately I couldn't find cannelloni anywhere. I bought manicotti; really the only difference is that the edges are ribbed. Although this took about 45 minutes to prepare and about another 45 to bake, it was totally worth the wait. Really, it was incredible.

24 dried manicotti tubes
8 oz spinach
1-2 large cans spaghetti sauce

Filling:
2 Tbsp oil
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage
4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 C flour
14.5 oz (1 can) beef broth
2 small zucchinis, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
Salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning

Sauce:
1/4 C butter
1/4 C flour
2 C milk
1 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning

Preheat the oven to 350° F. For the filling, heat the oil in a large pan. Add ground beef and garlic. Cook until meat loses its pink color. Add the flour and cook for one minute more. Stir in beef broth and bring to a boil. Add onion and zucchini and season. Cook for 10 minutes.




Spoon the beef mixture into the manicotti tubes and place in a casserole dish that has spaghetti sauce covering the bottom. Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and place on top of the manicotti tubes. For the white sauce, melt butter in a pan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk, cheese, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Pour spaghetti sauce and then white sauce over manicotti and bake for 30-45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT dish! I'll be cooking this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to update this blog after I made it a second time. The first time I felt like the pasta had a hard time cooking all the way with the amount of liquid that there was. When I made it again, I boiled the manicotti tubes for 2-3 minutes so that they were slightly softer but still held their form. They were much easier to work with and we didn't have a single crunchy bite.

    ReplyDelete