Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hello Dolly Cookies


There are two types of bar cookies that I really considered to be "my mom's cookies." I didn't know anybody else who made anything like them and they were both amazing. One was called Chewy Snacks (which I will make sometime in the future); the other are these Hello Dolly Cookies. I loved it when she made them - but I never even helped! So you can imagine my surprise when I decided to make them myself and found out that this is one of the easiest recipes I have ever tried.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 Tbsp powdered sugar

Topping:
1 bag chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Melt butter and mix with crumbs and powdered sugar. Press into 9x13 pan. Layer chocolate chips, chopped walnuts and coconut (in that order) on top of crumbs. Pour condensed milk over all. Be careful to pour evenly so that there is enough to cover the whole pan. Bake at 350° 20-25 minutes. The coconut should just be starting to turn golden brown. Cool and cut into the size of bars you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment