Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cookbooks


When I got married I received 3 cookbooks as wedding gifts. I had one more that my mom gave me when I left for college. Even though I have always liked making desserts, most of my cooking experience came from the year and a half that I spent as a missionary in Honduras. I spent most of my time in small pueblos outside of the city while I was there. Most people cooked over cement stoves that had a fire they built themselves with a metal sheet over top. While in Honduras I learned for the first time that some people don't use recipe books; I learned that salt is an incredible thing - nothing tastes good without it; I learned that you can bake cookies, breads, and cakes over a stove if you don't have an oven; I learned how to make tortillas by hand, and a huge amount of other things. I have to say that Honduras opened my eyes to the wonders of cooking; that's where it all started for me.

Over the past year I have spent a lot more time in the kitchen learning how to recognize what spices and foods go well together and practicing the art of cooking. But it wasn't until a little over a month ago that I decided to dedicate myself to this cooking thing. So over the past month my husband and I have been visiting thrift stores and garage sales and we seem to find great deals on cookbooks everywhere (hence this new expanded collection). Cookbooks are very fascinating! I am even learning how to see recipes and come up with ways to improve them. Thank you to my sweet husband for supporting me in this new obsession..errr...hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment