Sunday, July 11, 2010

Garlic Bread


What better compliments a delicious Italian style dinner than some delicious Garlic Bread. I am toying with the idea of making primarily (if not exclusively) homemade bread so I thought today was the perfect opportunity to make a type of bread that I haven't ever tried before. I decided to use a generic French Bread recipe but add a little twist with some Italian seasoning. It was a little more dense and less dry than the kind of garlic bread that you buy from the store. It tasted good and I would probably make it again, but I have been looking online and I have found some recipes that I think might turn out better.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp quick rise yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
5-6 cups flour
2-3 tsp Italian seasoning

Combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup water in a large mixing bowl. Let stand until completely dissolved. Stir in salt, remaining water and 2 cups flour and stir. Add Italian seasoning and stir. Slowly add remaining flour, constantly stirring until forming a soft dough. Knead for 5-10 minutes. Let rest 10-15 minutes. Shape dough into two loaves; place on a cookie sheet and cut diagonally across the top. Brush loaves with water and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.


While bread is baking, make garlic butter by mixing garlic powder with softened butter.  After removing loaves from oven, cool for a few minutes, cut in half lengthwise and spread garlic butter on each half. Return to oven and broil for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment