Thursday, August 9, 2012

Black Beans


I use black beans a lot in burritos, tacos, nachos and other things. Of course I like them best when they are freshly boiled, but lately I have eaten a lot that were canned. I often heat them up and add a few spices, but this time I decided to add a few more things for a little bit of extra flavor. I thought they turned out great - perfect for the burritos that we used them for. I may just use this as my "go to" black bean recipe in the future.

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 can (about 3/4 cup) diced tomatoes, rinsed
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Preheat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the oil glistens, add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to be transparent. Then add remaining spices and ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until everything is thoroughly heated. The longer you cook it, the more the flavors will combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment