Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Red Enchilada Sauce


This is an authentic Mexican red enchilada sauce. One of the reasons that I like it is that it isn't nearly as bitter as canned enchilada sauces. The secret to removing the bitterness is to strain it and to make sure that the veins and seeds are not in the sauce. This sauce stores in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. I like to double or triple the recipe and then store it in the freezer until I am making enchiladas. The dried chiles for this sauce can actually be purchased in a regular grocery store. I couldn't find them in the first store I went to, but they were in the second one so I didn't have to go to a mercado latino, although I would have if there was one near me.

5 New Mexico red chiles
2 Guajillo Chiles
5 California Chiles
1 Chile de Arbol (optional for heat)
Water
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chicken bullion 
1 Tbsp oil

Rinse, break off stems and remove seeds. Cover with boiling water for 10-20 minutes to reconstitute. Then remove the veins of the peppers, which are hot and bitter and not good in the sauce.

Puree chiles with about 3-4 cups of the water in which they were boiled, and the garlic, salt, cumin, and chicken bullion. Push puree through a wire strainer into a saucepan, to remove the pieces of skin. Add oil and bring to a boil. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment