Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken with Bacon and Havarti


This was another recipe that I tried because it allowed me to experiment with a new kind of cheese that I had never used before. I liked the flavor of the Havarti cheese, although next time I might just use Swiss, which was also presented as an option in the original recipe. Although this recipe got really good reviews on the about.com website, I wasn't too impressed. It tasted good, but it was very similar to a lot of other recipes that I have tried in the past, which was kind of a disappointment for me.

5 slices bacon
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
10 oz can cream of chicken or mushroom soup or 10 oz jar Alfredo sauce
6 oz fresh mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Havarti cheese

In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Crumble and set aside. Brown chicken in the leftover bacon grease. It doesn't need to be cooked all the way through. Place chicken in a slow cooker and top with mushrooms and onion. Pour soup or Alfredo sauce over everything and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Before serving, sprinkle cheese and bacon over top and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.


1 comment: