Friday, January 13, 2012

Blueberry Struesel Muffins


Even though I really love cooking from scratch, there are certain things that I just like better when they come from a box. Brownies and muffins are among these things. Still, I saw this recipe for blueberry muffins on Barbara Bakes and it looked like it was worth trying so I decided to make it for my sister-in-law's birthday breakfast. I was actually very impressed with the recipe; it made me think that homemade muffins might not be a complete waste of time. In fact, I will probably make them again.

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners or cooking spray. Prepare streusel topping and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, beginning with the wet ingredients and then adding the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Gently stir in blueberries. Fill muffin tins approximately 3/4 of the way up and sprinkle with struesel topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 

Struesel:
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
2 tsp canola oil

Whisk together flour and sugar, then add flour and mix until it has a crumbly texture.






1 comment: