Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Roast Beef with Mushroom Sauce


I usually plan all of the dinners that I am going to make for the week every Sunday afternoon. Lately I have been paying close attention to the produce and other perishable items that I have on hand because I want to make sure that nothing goes to waste, so I knew I had to make something that had a lot of mushrooms. A few days ago I had purchased a container full of mushrooms at a great price - I think they were getting to the limit of how long the grocery store can keep their produce, but they were still great for me! Grocery stores end up having to throw a lot of food away that is still good. I was going through my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and found this recipe, which I adapted a bit to fit my preferences.

1 2-3 lb beef eye of round roast
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
3 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
5 green onions, bias-sliced into 1/2" pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup milk

Trim fat from meat. Mix mustard and pepper. Bur onto meat. Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Roast in a 325° oven till thermometer registers 140° for medium rare (1 1/2-2 hours) or 155° for medium (1 3/4-2 1/4 hours). Cover with foil; let stand 15 minutes before carving. (The meat's temperature will rise 5° during standing)

Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan cook mushrooms, green onions, and garlic in hot margarine till green onions are tender. Stir in flour and thyme. Gradually stir in beef broth. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in light cream or milk. Cook and stir till heated through.

Thinly slice meat across the grain. Arrange on a serving platter. Pour some sauce atop meat. Pass remaining sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment