Thursday, July 28, 2011

Picante Chicken


This is a great recipe that my mom made a lot when I was younger. A few years ago I tried to make it myself using a new type of salsa that was on sale. Big Mistake. If you make this recipe, only use a salsa that you trust. Because the salsa gives it most of its flavor, using a new type of salsa will give it a flavor that you don't recognize and maybe don't even like. Having learned that lesson, I recently made this recipe again and, thank goodness, it tasted just as good as when my mom used to make it for me.

2-3 lb chicken, left whole or cut into pieces depending on preference
1 cup white rice 
2 tsp oil
1 cup salsa (I use medium Picante brand)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced ripe olives

Preheat skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add broth and salsa and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Arrange chicken over rice and cover tightly. Simmer 20 minutes, then remove from the heat. Leave cover in place and let stand until all of the liquid is absorbed - about 5 minutes. Garnish with tomato, cheese, and olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment