Monday, February 6, 2012

Lemon Cookies


I was recently visiting a friend for an afternoon and she suggested that we try a new cookie recipe. She had found an amazing recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe and had all of the ingredients on hand. I had never made lemon cookies before, but was excited to try something new; and I have to say that I am IN LOVE with these cookies. I brought some home to my husband, and he felt the same way. After we ate them all in a single day, he asked me to make more and I happily obliged. Interestingly, I have since found these same cookies on a few other websites, so I guess they are kind of a fad right now. 

Recipe Yield: about 2 dozen cookies (depending on how big you make them)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350° and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray. (These cookies stick to the pan.) 

Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, egg, lemon zest and juice and mix well. Then stir in salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Roll balls of dough in powdered sugar before placing on baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove them from the oven before they begin to brown on the edges.

1 comment: