Saturday, February 18, 2012

Banana Nut Bread


Banana bread is never one of those things that I plan to make in advance. I usually just find myself obligated to make it in order to avoid letting over-ripe bananas go to waste. That was the case this morning, when I finally concluded that there was no way I would eat the last bananas when they had all of those brown spots. Rather than using the banana bread recipe that I usually do, I chose a new one. I was excited that it called for sour cream because I have had some sitting in my refrigerator ever since I made tacos a few weeks ago.

This is pretty much my new favorite banana bread recipe. It is wonderfully soft and stays moist for days - I stored one loaf in plastic wrap and the other in a ziplock bag and they both retained their moisture.

Makes 1 9x13" pan or 2 bread pans.

1 cup mashed bananas (approximately 2-3 bananas)
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1/2-1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° and prepare pans with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine bananas and sour cream and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar then beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla and banana mixture, then add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment