Friday, February 24, 2012

Cabbage Patch Stew


This is a type of soup that my mom made when I was growing up. I am always a little bit nervous to make soups because my husband has told me a number of times that he doesn't like soup, but when I got cabbage from my Bountiful Basket, I just decided that he would have to suck it up and eat whatever I was making for dinner. I was actually surprised when he said he liked it a lot and that he would be willing to have it again. Maybe because it was a pretty thick, meaty soup. 

I also have to give you one word of caution. Worcestershire sauce smells really good and you might feel tempted to add in a little extra. Don't do it. It has a really strong flavor.

Recipe Yield: about 7 servings (I cut the recipe in half and we had enough for dinner and then lunch for both of us the next day)

2 lbs. hamburger
1 onion, sliced
1 cup diced potatoes
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 28 oz can tomatoes
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 cup celery, diced (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat and drain grease from pan. Add onion, potatoes, cabbage, water and salt. Simmer for 15 minutes. Then add remaining ingredients and simmer for 35 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment