Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hawaiian Haystacks


This seems to be a pretty common recipe among people that I know. My mom made it when I was growing up, and just a few months ago, my mother-in-law made it too. I am sure that it actually has no ties to Hawaii, it is fun to make and to eat. I would definitely recommend it. Although I have it labelled as a "slow cooker," my mom never made the sauce that way, she just did it in a sauce pan over the stove. This is also an easy one to adapt to the number of people that you are serving. It can be made as a small dinner for two, or it can  be expanded to serve dozens of people.

Recipe Yield: about 4 servings

1 chicken breast
1 can cream of chicken soup
Milk
Rice

Toppings:
coconut tidbits
olives
peas
diced celery
shredded carrots
cheddar cheese
raisins
pineapple
green or red peppers
mandarin oranges
chow mien noodles
sliced green onion
cashews
... or anything else that strikes your fancy 

If you use a slow cooker for this meal, place the chicken breast and the chicken soup in the slow cooker and  cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. Before serving, shred the chicken. Add milk to your desired consistency. If you like more sauce compared to chicken, simply add another can of cream of chicken soup.

To prepare this over the stove, cook the chicken and cut into cubes. Then heat chicken soup and about 1/2 cup milk over medium heat. Then add chicken cubes.

Everyone gets to assemble their own dish. Begin with rice; pour sauce over top and then pile on the toppings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment