Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Blackberry Pie Filling


I have a few friends that are avid "coupon-ers" and always insist on posting their best deals on facebook. I have never been entirely convinced by the coupon movement - especially because I prefer to cook with a lot of fresh fruits and veggies - but I have to say that I also get some really great deals on occasion, without even cutting out a single coupon. Last week, I found blackberries for sale for $1 per box. Normally they are $3.99 a box! My husband always talks about picking Oregon blackberries as a child and eating fresh blackberry cobbler, so I bought 5 boxes (4 to use in the cobbler and one just to eat). His mom told us she usually made pie and cobbler filling with just sugar and flour so we decided to give it a go. 

4 cups blackberries
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour

Combine sugar with blackberries and let them sit until they start to become juicy. Taste them to make sure that they are sweet enough. If not, add more sugar and wait another few minutes. Then, carefully fold in the flour and pour into pie pan or cobbler dish. 





No comments:

Post a Comment