Monday, November 7, 2011

Halloween Sugar Cookies


A few weeks ago, I was thinking about my family Halloween traditions. One of my favorite parts of Halloween was decorating sugar cookies. My mom usually made a whole batch of cookies shaped like pumpkins. With orange icing, chocolate chips and candy corn, we all decorated jack-o-lantern cookies to our hearts content. I think I have probably only made sugar cookies one other time in my whole life, so I found a recipe in a cookbook that was compiled by ladies from my church about 10 years ago. I really like to use that one when I want to try a new recipe because I always figure that people wouldn't have shared a recipe unless they thought it was really good. I cut this recipe in half. It is also important to note that I made the dough and then left it in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap, until the next day when it was time to make the cookies. It worked just fine. These cookies turned out light and fluffy (for lack of a more descriptive phrase), kind of like those ones that they sell in the grocery store that are so popular. They were unique because of their almond flavor. Everyone said they really liked them.

2 cups sugar
2 cups margarine
6 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
2 tsp almond extract
7 cups flour
6 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each, and then add the remaining ingredients. When mixed, roll out and cut with a cookie cutter. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.









No comments:

Post a Comment