Friday, November 18, 2011

Mexican Lasagna


Even though I have a number of different cooking websites that I refer to on occasion, I would have to say that my all time favorite is probably For The Love Of Cooking. When I am not sure what to make for dinner, that is usually the first place I go for ideas. While I sometimes make variations of her recipes, or simply use recipes as an inspiration for something that I want to make, I also follow some recipes exactly, like I did with this one. I loved this meal. It took me about 25 minutes to prepare and then another 30 to bake, but it was very easy and tasted great. Here is a link to the original recipe.

Ground Beef, prepared as taco meat
Onions, chopped
Salsa
4 flour tortillas
Refried beans, Mexican style
Cheddar cheese, grated
Black beans
Frozen whole kernal corn, thawed
Tomatoes, diced
Black olives, sliced
Green onions, sliced
Fresh cilantro, chopped

Dice and prepare all vegetables for the lasagna. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and break up until it is in small pieces. Add onions and seasoning (although I used the combination of spices on the original recipe, I think regular taco seasoning would be just as good - maybe even better). Cook until the meat is done and the onion is tender, about 6-7 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Add salsa to the bottom of the baking dish and coat evenly. Next add a flour tortilla (trim the sides, if necessary, in order to fit into the dish). Layer all other ingredients, spreading salsa over the top. Then, add another flour tortilla and repeat layering process 2-3 times.

On top of the final tortilla, spread a layer of salsa, cheddar cheese, and black olives. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to turn golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment