Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taco Soup


There are many things that I ate growing up and, for some reason, thought that my mom was the only one in the whole world who knew how to make them. Taco soup is one of those things. I was shocked when I got to college and had many roommates who made the same soup that my mom did. It really is a great college food; it has very few ingredients (most come in a can), it only takes a few minutes to put together, and it also provides a variety of essential nutrients. This time I decided to make it in a crock pot (I didn't cook the ground beef first) and it tasted even better than normal. I also added an onion and green pepper.

1 lb ground beef
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can whole kernel corn
1/4 cup (or one package) taco seasoning
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped

If you are making this soup over the stove, brown ground beef with onions; leave out this step for a slow cooker. Transfer to a large pot or slow cooker and then add taco seasoning. Without draining, add all other ingredients. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes to an hour, or 6-8 hours in a crock pot. Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment