Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chocolate Marbled Blondies


This recipe came from an M&M cookbook that I have. I used chocolate chips rather than M&M's because I didn't have any. I don't regret it one bit. I used these amazing chocolate chips that are a little more expensive than the store brand that I usually buy, but I stocked up when they were on sale. They are Guittard brand. I have learned that sometimes the store brand is just as good as name brand, but sometimes the name brand or specialty brand is so much better that I just have to splurge once in a while. The other thing that made these bar cookies great was that "blondie" part of them isn't very sweet, but the chocolate makes up for it. It was the perfect combination.

"blondie"
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup chocolate chips (or M&M's)

"chocolate swirl"
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

"topping"
1/3 cup chocolate chips (or M&M's)

Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease 9x9x2" baking pan; set aside. In large bowl cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Then blend flour and baking soda into creamed mixture. Stir in 2/3 cup chocolate chips and set aside. Dough will be stiff

In a separate bowl beat together cream cheese, granulated sugar and egg yolk until smooth; stir in cocoa powder until well blended. Place chocolate mixture in six equal portions evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. Place "blondie" dough around chocolate mixture and swirl slightly with a fork. Pat down evenly on top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Oh...my...goodness. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, blondies studded with such a good quality chocolate. I don't know how you resisted the temptation to devour the whole pan. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd be delighted if you'd stop by and link your blondies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete