Friday, December 16, 2011

Spare Ribs


I found spare ribs on a good sale the other day at the grocery store. Even though I have made baby back ribs quite a few times, I had never made spare ribs before. I was looking for a recipe online when I remembered that my mom has a great one. She actually made it for dinner when we had my husband's family over for the first time, the night before my wedding. My husband said he actually remembered them and that they tasted really good so I called my mom and asked for the recipe. They were very easy and tasted great - just the way I remembered. She served them with scalloped potatoes and salad. Although she makes them in a roaster, they are also great when made in a slow cooker.

4 lbs. spare ribs 
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1/2 cup celery, chopped

Cook ribs in an open pan at 425° for 30 minutes to brown. Drain fat. Transfer to roaster (or slow cooker) and cover with sauce. Cook at 325° for 2 hours or 275° for 3-4 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment