Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Beef and Bean Chimichangas


When I told my husband we were having chimichangas for dinner, he was pretty excited - until he heard that they were "healthy." I don't know how people usually make these, but I think he was hoping that they would be deep fried. Once he had them, though, he wasn't disappointed anymore. They were great! With only a few simple ingredients, these only took me about 20 minutes to make. Leftovers were great too - we just heated up the meat and fried them up and they tasted just like they did the first time.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano 
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 can chili beans
pepper jack cheese, shredded
3 Tbsps canola oil
flour tortillas

Heat the olive oil on a skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and break apart into smaller pieces. Add onions and seasonings. Cook, stirring, for about five minutes until beef is brown and onion is tender. Stir in chili beans and cook for another few minutes until the mixture is warmed completely through.

Preheat canola oil on a skillet over medium heat. Heat tortillas for about 20 seconds in the microwave to soften. Sprinkle desired amount of pepper jack cheese on tortilla and top with beef and bean mixture. Fold sides of tortilla and roll like a burrito. When the oil is hot, place tortilla in the skillet, seam side down. Cook until surface of tortilla is golden brown and crispy. Turn over carefully and cook opposite side. Serve hot with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.






1 comment:

  1. I have been working on my menu for this week, and I am going to make this! I hope they turn out!! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete