Monday, December 12, 2011

Cannoli


Although I grew up in the States, I feel like I have a strong connection with my Italian ancestors. Family heritage is something that is really important to me, especially when it has to do with food. One of my favorite stories is about my great grandmother making Canolis and frying the shells on the end of a broomstick. While many modern chefs choose to use special metal tubes that were specifically designed for making these delicious pastries, I don't see anything wrong with the old fashioned way. I actually used a wooden dowel that had been cut into 8" pieces. I cured them by soaking them in vegetable oil and then baking them in the oven on 200° for an hour (I found someone online who said that is what you should do - I don't know if it really made a difference). 

There are generally two types of Cannoli filling. One uses ricotta cheese and one is just milk and sugar (basically). This "non-cheese" recipe seemed easy (and tasted GREAT - much better than those disgusting Cannolis I tried last week at Kneaders - blech...). I decided to add about 3 oz of cream cheese to the filling - non-traditional, I know - so I won't include it in the recipe.

Cannoli shell:
4 cups of flour
3/4 cup Crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
20 Tbsp cold water (there are 16 Tbsp in a cup)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

(makes approximately 50 small cannolis or 20 large ones)

Stir together flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients, stirring until the mixture is approximately pea sized, then add the egg and slowly stir in the water until it forms a ball.

Preheat a pan of canola oil on medium-high. When the oil sizzles with a splatter of water, you know it is ready. Gently place several cannoli shells in the oil and fry until they are a deep golden color. When you remove the shells, place them on a paper towel to soak up the extra oil.

The shells can be made several days in advance and refrigerated.






Cannoli filling:

5 cups milk
1 cinnamon stick
2/5 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla


Heat 4 cups sugar, milk, and cinnamon over medium heat. Mix remaining cup of milk with cornstarch. When milk comes to a boil, add cornstarch/milk mixture. Mix until thick, stirring continuously. Scrape the bottom of the pan as you stir so the milk doesn't burn. Refrigerate until cool, then stir in vanilla.


Use a pastry bag to fill shells with filling. Dip ends of cannolis in crushed chocolate pieces or nuts. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top.




1 comment:

  1. These were amazing. I didn't realize that you made your own dowel. That's so cool.

    ReplyDelete