Monday, December 19, 2011

Snickerdoodles



So, I made these cookies for the first time last year. I had tasted them before, but never made them myself. I actually had some cream of tartar in my cabinet, although I don't know where it came from. Those cookies didn't turn out very well so I threw away the cream of tartar (who knew how old it was, anyway) and gave up on the idea of ever making them again. But just yesterday I got courageous and decided to try them again. I considered the possibility that it might be the recipe I used, so I looked up a new recipe on the internet. Since I didn't have cream of tartar, I substituted a little less than 4 tsp of baking powder for the cream of tartar and baking soda and WOW these cookies turned out great - crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. I also added red sprinkles to make them "Christmasy" Ironically, I compared the two recipes and they turned out to be exactly the same.


1 cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar


4 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon


Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Then mix in all dry ingredients. Roll into balls and cover in cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. 







No comments:

Post a Comment