Thursday, June 16, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam


This past week my mom was visiting and I asked her to teach me how to make freezer jam. She made it every year when I was growing up and it tastes better than any other type of jam or jelly that I have ever had. When we made it together I could hardly believe how easy it was. In fact, she just used the directions on the fruit pectin box! She said that she always uses Sure Jell brand. Although there are others, she has always had good success with this one. We decided to make strawberry jam because it was always my favorite, although my grandmother makes blueberry rhubarb that is also just amazing.


2 cups strawberries
4 cups sugar
1 box Sure Jell fruit pectin
3/4 cup water

1. Wash and rinse plastic containers with tight fitting lids. I used pint sized containers.
2. Prepare fruit. Although the package specifically says that strawberries should be crushed one cup at a time with a potato masher and that they should never be pureed. My mom usually purees them in the blender, leaving some small bits of fruit. This time, we used a food processor.
3. Measure exact amount of sugar into the bowl. If you reduce the sugar, the jam will not set correctly. Do not double the recipe. If you do, it may not set correctly either.
4. Stir sugar and strawberries together and let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Prepare fruit pectin by bringing the pectin and 3/4 cup water to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
6. Combine pectin into fruit mixture and stir approximately 3 minutes, until it is completely dissolved.
7. Pour into prepared containers, leaving 1/2" space at top for expansion during freezing and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Freeze jam once it has set.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I've been wanting to make jam for a while now and this actually looks like a recipe I could try! I'm very excited! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete