Monday, June 27, 2011

Coconut Shrimp


This was one of the things that we served at my wedding reception and ever since then, my husband has been talking about how amazing it was. Finally this past week I got the courage to try to make it and, in all honesty, it didn't go so well. I am really not good at frying things. Whenever we eat anything deep fried for dinner, my husband is in charge of the hot oil. I don't really like frying food very much because it kind of makes me feel sick to eat most deep fried foods (and even fast foods). But I love him so much that I was willing to try to make this all by myself. It actually tasted pretty good, although I think I added a little too much coconut and maybe did the breading too thick, but this is the recipe exactly as my mom gave it to me. So if you try making this, hopefully you are a little more intuitive than I was.


2 cups flaked coconut
2 pounds large raw shrimp
1/3cup lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon powdered ginger,  I used 1+ teaspoon fresh
¼ cup cornstarch
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup milk

Fat or oil for deep frying

1. Spread coconut on baking sheet and place in 300 oven until delicately brown, 5-8 minutes.

2.  Shell the shrimp, but do not remove tail.  Slit the back and de-vein.  Rinse and drain well.

3.   Mix together the lemon juice, salt, curry powder, and ginger; marinate the shrimp in the mixture for 3 hours. Drain, reserving the marinade.  Toss shrimp with the cornstarch.

4.  Mix together until smooth, the flour, baking powder, milk and marinade.  Dip shrimp in batter, and then roll in coconut.  Heat grease to 375 and fry shrimp until browned, about 5 minutes.  Drain.  Serve with curry sauce or orange marmalade. 

Dipping Sauce
Make the dipping sauce: combine marmalade, mustard, honey and hot sauce in a small bowl. Mix well. Serve the shrimp and dipping sauce side by side.

1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup Dijon-style prepared mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 Tbsp Oriental chili sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment