Thursday, August 26, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan


My husband had never had Eggplant Parmesan but, being very proud of my Italian ancestry, I insisted that we have it at our wedding luncheon. He loved it even though it doesn't contain any meat! This is the version that I like to make. I use my mom's recipe for Chicken Parmesan and use eggplant instead. I like to serve it with extra sauce over pasta.

Eggplant (1/2" slices)
Italian bread crumbs
2 eggs beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
Favorite spaghetti sauce
Mozzarella cheese slices
Parmesan cheese
olive oil

Prepare eggplant by cutting into 1/2" slices. Place in a strainer by layers and sprinkle salt over the top of each layer. Put a heavy plate or a bowl full of water over top and let them sit for at least an hour. They should begin to release condensation. This helps to remove the bitterness. Once you have finished this step, rinse the eggplant and pat dry.

Dip eggplant in eggs followed by bread crumbs then Parmesan cheese and brown in skillet of olive oil and garlic. Pour sauce in 9x13 pan to coat bottom. Place eggplant on top. Top eggplant with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Add more sauce. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350° for about 40-50 min.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you put this recipe up! My sister-in-law and I were just talking last night about how we were trying to cook with more veggies and wanted to try Eggplant Parmesan! You read my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. Eggplant is plentiful in our farm markets and this is a great time to try a new recipe. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete