Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cream Cheese Chicken


My husband's family was here this past weekend and one night I had a prior commitment and would have to be away during dinnertime. I wanted to think of something that I could make ahead of time and that wouldn't take too much preparation. And then it came to me: I could make a crock pot recipe! I decided on one of the classic slow cooker dishes, using my own combination of spices, rather than Italian dressing mix. All of the ingredients are approximate. I just added "what looked good." Because I wasn't there when dinner was served, I didn't spend time taking pictures like I usually do. I just snapped a couple of quick shots when I was eating the leftovers. They were still delicious. This dinner received more complements than any other over the whole weekend.

4 lb chicken, thawed and cut into pieces
1-2 cans cream of mushroom (depending on desired creaminess)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
about 2 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp celery seeds
2 tsp Italian seasoning
3 cloves minced garlic
1 8 oz package cream cheese

Mix everything together EXCEPT for cream cheese in slow cooker and set on low for 5-6 hours (longer if desired). A half hour before serving, cut in cream cheese and turn heat up to high. Heat until cream cheese is completely melted, stirring occasionally (approx. 30 min). Serve over rice or pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment