Monday, July 30, 2012

Mandarin Orange Chicken


Another successful Asian recipe! I think I might finally be getting the hang of this Asian stir fry thing! This recipe came from motherthyme.com, a site that I plan to visit frequently now that I have discovered it. Plus, she is really good at photography. The amazing picture definitely helped convince me to make this recipe. The only thing I added to the recipe was more vegetables. I love cooking with fresh veggies! Part of what made it taste so good was that I served it over Coconut Rice, which I will be posting later this week.

Prep time: 30 minutes

Serves: 4 people

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp prepared orange juice
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
1/2 cup sugar snap peas
1/2 cup broccoli
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1 can mandarin oranges with juice
3 Tbsp vinegar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place chicken pieces in a medium bowl. Add orange juice, 1/4 cup corn starch, salt and pepper and mix until the chicken is evenly coated.

In a medium skillet, preheat oil over medium heat. When oil begins to glisten, add chicken and stir fry until it is golden brown on all sides. Then add vegetables to skillet and cook until they are tender. Mix soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and remaining corn starch. Add sauce mixture, mandarin oranges with juice, vinegar, and sugar to skillet. Continue to cook, stirring constantly for another 3 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment