Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mashed Potatoes


I didn't grow up eating homemade mashed potatoes. In fact, I remember the first time that I found out that mashed potatoes were made from real potatoes. It was almost Thanksgiving a few years ago and I was a missionary in Honduras (obviously they don't celebrate it there). My companion and I decided that we wanted to throw a Thanksgiving feast for all of the missionaries in our zone. We decided to make peach cobbler rather than peach pie, we made rolls, juice, salad, and the zone leaders brought rotisserie chickens (because they don't eat turkeys in Honduras). My companion said we should make mashed potatoes but I told her that would be possible because they don't sell potato pearls or flakes there. I remember being pretty shocked when she said we could make them from real potatoes. And it turns out it's not difficult at all. I made them last night for dinner in only about 30 minutes (including boiling time).

Potatoes, peeled and cut (unless you use red potatoes, which I did this time)
Milk
Sour cream
salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste

Boil cut potatoes until soft. Drain water and smash the potatoes in a bowl using a potato masher. Add a little bit of milk and a few spoonfuls of sour cream (depending on how many potatoes you used). Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. You can even add other things like cheese and green onions if you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment