Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Stuffed Zucchini


This past weekend my husband and I went to the local Farmer's Market with some friends. In addition to some of the best raspberries that I have ever had, we bought corn on the cob, fresh green beans, summer squash, and a huge zucchini. At one of the booths, the zucchinis were fifty cents each. Although I could have chosen one that was somewhat regular size, I couldn't resist picking one of the largest in the bunch. I asked the girl who was working there what I should make with such a big zucchini and she suggested either zucchini bread or stuffed zucchini. Since I had never made stuffed zucchini the decision was made. So today I went online and looked at a variety of recipes for ideas. According to what I read, I created a recipe using my favorite ingredients and - voila! An amazing gourmet dinner. With artisan sourdough bread, fresh green beans, and sparkling lemonade this was a great dinner (and very romantic too...).

1 HUGE zucchini (or about 4 regular ones I am guessing)
1/2 lb. sausage
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
mozzarella cheese, sliced

Prepare the zucchini by rinsing thoroughly. Cut off each end and slice in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove seeds and fleshy interior. Be sure to leave at least 1/4" on each side so that the zucchini can support the filling. Chop the zucchini so it can be added to the filling.

Preheat medium skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Roast garlic for 20-30 seconds before adding onions and peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes before adding meat. Season with thyme, oregano, and parsley. When the meat has cooked thoroughly, add tomatoes and excess zucchini interior. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for another few minutes. Drain excess liquid. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes then stir in egg. Spoon filling into zucchini and bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes. After the first 20 minutes place sliced cheese over top and allow to cook the rest of the way. You will know when it is ready because the zucchini is soft and the cheese has begun to brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment