Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chicken Taquitos


I have never made taquitos before, but I really wanted to make something Mexican for dinner a few days ago. My husband was late coming home from work so I decided to do this all by myself (which is actually pretty rare - we do a lot of the cooking together). I started by cooking the chicken and got it all seasoned and browned. It tasted great. When I went to get out the tortillas, I realized that I needed corn tortillas - not the flour tortillas that we had in the fridge - so I had to take a break and go to the store. I also considered making the tortillas myself because we did that all the time in Honduras, but to no avail. I think I threw away our corn flour when we moved here. But still, these tasted awesome. They were fun to eat and even more exciting knowing that I made them myself.

1 lb chicken, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3/4 cup white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
corn tortillas
canola oil

Preheat a medium sized frying pan on medium-high heat with about a tablespoon of canola oil. Add garlic and let it cook for 20-30 seconds, then add onion and peppers. Cook until the peppers are soft and the onion is somewhat translucent, 3-4 minutes, then add the chicken pieces and lime juice. Season with cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper while it is cooking. Cook chicken until the edges begin to get golden brown and a little crispy.

Preheat the oven to 425° and wrap 10-15 tortillas in a damp paper towel. microwave them for about a minute to soften them. Prepare a baking sheet by brushing canola oil onto it (cooking spray works too). Place a line of cheese and then a bit of the chicken on top of each tortilla. Roll and place them on the baking sheet with the seam side down. Brush more canola oil over each tortilla. Bake for 6-7 minutes; turn them over and bake for another 5-6 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Serve with salsa,  guacamole, or any other preferred topping or sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment