Friday, August 12, 2011

Crock Pot Chili



The first time I made chili all by myself was my junior year in college. I was talking to my roommate, Angie, and we decided we should make chili for dinner so we went to the store to buy the ingredients. When we got there, I realized that we hadn't found a recipe for chili. This was before the days when everyone had internet on their cell phones and I was just beside myself with worry because there was no way to look up a good recipe and my mom wasn't answering her phone. Angie wasn't worried, though; she is from the South, where apparently they make chili all the time and she reassured me that all you need is a few kinds of beans, some ground beef and some spices. Although I only had a few of the spices and ingredients that I cook with now, I was astounded at how good the chili tasted. Ever since that time I have never used a recipe for chili so the ingredients change somewhat depending on what I have on hand, but this is how I made it this time.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red or yellow pepper (or both)
1 large onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 can chili beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Stir everything together in a medium-sized slow cooker and let it cook for 6-8 hours on low. If I were making a larger batch, the main thing that I would change is to add more beans, more tomatoes, and perhaps some tomato paste. Make sure to taste it before serving and adjust the spices and seasonings. Often, adding more salt makes the difference between a chili that is okay and one that is great.


No comments:

Post a Comment