Friday, March 4, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Korma


Anciently, Indian food was commonly made using a method called Dum Pukht. A Handi was the clay pot used for Dum Pukht style cooking, which is slow cooking meals over low heat for long periods of time. This style is emulated quite well by a modern Crock Pot. So now I have that figured out, I realize that I can make all of my Indian curries in the slow cooker and it will be much simpler.

1.5 lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1-2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
1 tsp kosher salt
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or 3 plum tomatoes, diced)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh ginger
8 cardamom pods, crushed
2 sticks cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2-3/4 cup cashews (optional)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker except for yogurt and cashews. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Stir in yogurt and cashews. Add more salt to taste. Serve over rice or with naan bread. I also added about 1/4 cup coconut milk, because I like the flavor it adds. Another option is to add about 1/4 cup raisins.

2 comments:

  1. This is really a wonderful use of the slow cooker. Your recipe sounds terrific. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary! I love it when people comment. It makes me feel so happy to know people are looking at my recipes.

    ReplyDelete