Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff


I made this recipe up! The other day I found sirloin steak really cheap at the grocery store so I bought some, but I didn't know what to do with it. So I started thinking about what I could make in the slow cooker with beef and I came up with stroganoff. There are a lot of different recipes for beef stroganoff that you make over the stove, but I didn't find one for the slow cooker. It makes a difference because on the stove you can use rue (butter and flour mixed together) to thicken the sauce but I wasn't sure if it would work with a Crock Pot. So this is the recipe I came up with and it was great. I will definitely make it again.

1 1/2 lb sirloin steak cut into bite sized pieces (or another type of cheap steak or beef)
1/4 lb sliced mushrooms
1 can beef broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp Savory
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
seasoning salt to taste.

Put everything in the slow cooker except for the cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup and seasoning salt. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. In the last half hour add the other ingredients and stir. Serve over egg noodles.

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this one too! 1 tsp Savory... ???...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savory is a spice that I just happened to have in my spice rack. It smelled good so I put it in. You could substitute thyme, marjoram, or sage.

    ReplyDelete