Sunday, September 12, 2010

Szechuan Chicken


After making those pot stickers I decided to widen my repertoire of Chinese dishes. Not really knowing anyone who could teach me, my first recourse was the internet. This recipe is a combination of a few that I found online. This one doesn't include green or red peppers (we didn't have any on the day that I made it) but next time, it will definitely have them. I always prefer to incorporate fresh vegetables into any main dish, especially because it often seems too much hassle to serve a lot of side dishes when I am only cooking for two.

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed or cut into strips
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp sesame oil

Sauce:
3 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp barbecue sauce
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1/2 c. water

3 green onions, chopped
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced

Coat chicken in cornstarch. Fry in sesame oil with garlic until chicken is lightly browned. Stir in "sauce" ingredients. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes or until boiling. Stir in vegetables and cayenne pepper and cook, uncovered 2-4 minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment