Saturday, July 28, 2012

Chicken & Broccoli Stromboli


We eat some type of pizza in our house almost every week, so I am always looking for new and interesting combinations of toppings just so we can mix it up a little. For this meal, I used my regular pizza dough recipe, but cut it in half. We really enjoyed this stromboli. It was fun to eat and was even a little bit (dare I say) healthy.

I seasoned the chicken using Chef Todd's Pit Seasoning. It is a great blend of spices that I use all the time. If you don't have this seasoning mix, you can use a combination of garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. It won't be exactly the same, but that is what I used to do before I discovered my new favorite seasoning.

3/4 lb chicken, cut into small pieces
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
Chef Todd's Pit Seasoning, to taste
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
fresh broccoli florets
fresh spinach leaves
mozzarella cheese
Alfredo sauce for dipping

Prepare the pizza dough. While it is raising, preheat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil glistens, add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until it starts to become transparent. Then add chicken and seasoning and cook until the chicken is done.

Roll out pizza dough (between 1/8" and 1/4" thickness) in a rectangle about 18" long and 11" wide. Layer spinach, chicken and onions, red pepper, tomato, broccoli, and then mozzarella cheese down the center of the dough. Fold each side of dough over and pinch to close. Bake on 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and spread a small amount of butter over the surface of the crust to add flavor and maintain moisture. Cut into pieces and serve with Alfredo sauce or marinara sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment