Thursday, December 9, 2010

Butter Toffee


Almond Roca is one of my husband's favorite candies but we only buy it occasionally - usually when we see it on sale. These past few years we have been lucky enough to try this Butter Toffee that a neighbor makes and it tastes almost the same. So last night I asked her for the recipe and tried it out myself. It is deceptively simple. With only six ingredients and a very short list of directions, the only real trick is knowing when it is ready. Thankfully, she shared her time-tested secret with me. The first time I made the recipe, I thought I didn't need her trick so I just brought it to the point that when I dropped a bit in a glass of cold water, the toffee was stringy and brittle. But once I had finished and the entire pan cooled, I realized that it was undercooked. It still tasted good but it was too soft. So I made it again using the trick and it turned out perfectly.

1 lb. butter               
2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. corn syrup       
½ cup water
1 cup chopped almonds
1-1 1/2 pkg milk chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients, except nuts in large heavy saucepan. Cover and slowly bring to a boil. Remove cover and continue cooking on medium low heat, stirring occasionally (approx. 25-35 minutes). It is ready when it becomes the color of a brown  paper bag. I actually keep a square with my recipe to compare color to, because it’s longer than you think. Stir in 1/2 cup almonds. Pour out onto large buttered cookie sheet with sides. Immediately spread with 1- 1½  pkgs. milk chocolate chips. Wait a minute or two and spread with a spatula as they melt. Sprinkle with ½ c. finely chopped almonds. Break into pieces when cool.

If the toffee is undercooked, it will be crumbly and extra sweet. If it is overcooked it will be bitter and inedible. 

It starts out the color of butter, a very light yellow.


The first time I removed it from the heat when it was this color. But it was too early!
The second time it got just a little darker than the paper and it turned out just right.
The toffee lightened as it cooled and after it was completely cool it was about the color of the paper.

1 comment:

  1. I have been craving this so bad lately! I sure wish I would have fought for it at the family Christmas party! DELISH!!! Im going to try making it soon. Hopefully it works out :-)

    ReplyDelete